The Next Twelve Permanent Teeth
Many patients with few or no habits or minimal jaw and tooth abnormalities have balanced facial structures and benefit from comprehensive orthodontic treatment during the adolescent period. This ‘gold standard” timing of care is known to be the period when the most amount of correction can be achieved in the shortest period of time and often prior to the busy high school years.
Gianelly, a world-renowned orthodontic educator and publisher has described the ideal period of time to start orthodontic care as “after the first bicuspids erupt and prior to the second molar appearance. This allows for anchor teeth to make room for the permanent canines and the ability to position the first molar teeth prior to the growth of the second molars.
Patients treated during this period are usually able to be managed without removing permanent teeth with the use of rubber bands for jaw (overjet and underbite) correction. Other appliances utilized for jaw issues include Forsus, CS5 and Carriere, which are the latest in technology that allows for maximum jaw correction without the use of unsightly headgear or surgery.
- Begins on the upper jaw to shape the smile.
- Progresses to the lower arch and finishes when the twelve year molars appear.
- Utilizes self-ligating (Pitts, Damon, braces) appliances to maximize width and protect the smile arc.
- Clear Aligners may be utilized or suggested.
- Elastics are almost always required as well as thick sealants (bite turbos) to separate the teeth for speedy treatment.
- In rare instances, permanent teeth may need to be removed to align and fit the teeth together properly or align the center lines for appearance and bite.
This progressive placement of braces is similar to the sequence that top cosmetic dentists utilize to create beautiful smiles for patients of all ages.
At the completion of treatment, patients will have their third molars, (wisdom teeth) evaluated for either growth or removal in order to complete the treatment
A period of retainer wear full time will be followed by night time only wear for as long as patients wish to ensure that their smile stays beautiful.