When do I start?
- Parents, patients, and even some dentists all ask orthodontists “When should a patient first visit the orthodontist?” The American Association of Orthodontists and the American Dental Association both agree that the first visit to the orthodontist should be at age 7.
- Dr Grob has spent over 25 years answering that question and has developed the TREATMENT BY TWELVES philosophy which is easy to explain and understand.
- When used properly, the TBT philosophy helps to determine when the proper time to start treatment is medically, dentally and cosmetically necessary and beneficial.
- In summary, there are three times when patients benefit from orthodontic care which are further explained in detail.
How much does it cost? ( Link to Affordable Smile Plan Page)
- Orthodontic represents a significant investment in time and money for every family and we get it
- We have designed many benefits to assist with paying for orthodontics without breaking the budget.
- These include:
- Small down payments
- Monthly payments similar to those for many other family budget items (think cable TV and cell phones)
- Family discounts
- Participation in virtually all insurance plans and reduced fee schedules
Is early treatment beneficial?
- At Valley Orthodontic Group we believe that several areas including medical needs, correcting jaw problems, and stopping bad habits should be the focus of early treatment. We like to consider this helping to shape the face and mouth for the future. One of our first priorities is to ensure that the bones and muscles of the face are forming correctly.
- This part of early treatment involves establishing proper face muscle balance is called FACE FIRST THERAPY
Do teeth need to be removed?
- The need to remove permanent teeth to complete orthodontics has for years been a controversial topic.
- We believe that by developing the face early and creating width to the jaw and smile the need to remove permanent teeth can indeed be minimized.
- These procedures involve comfortable expanders, light force wires and aligners as well as smooth rounded braces.
Will it show or hurt?
- With the use of new gentle wires, smooth rounded braces and light pressure, there is no need to fear the discomfort of braces treatment.
- Aligners as well utilize gradual pressure and movement with virtually no pain of discomfort.
May we have appointments after school or work?
- We have a schedule that allows for most short visits to be completed after school or close to the end of the work day.
- Visits for placing and removing braces as well as some of our “surgical” procedures such as Propel acceleration and gum contouring will have to be scheduled during the day.
What do rubber bands do?
- Braces and aligners straighten the teeth in each jaw bone.
- Rubber bands work to bring the two rows of teeth together and form a “healthy and comfortable” bite.
How does an expander work?
- Jaw expanders work to broaden the upper jaw bone by separating the two bones forming it.
- When completed on young people, there are virtually no complications, soreness or lost time from school.
Will the teeth stay straight?
- Teeth stay straight by wearing retainers.
- The retainer works best by eliminating harmful habits such as mouth breathing, thumb and finger habits, and clenching and grinding.
Do wisdom teeth cause teeth to get crooked again?
- The science has failed to show that wisdom teeth cause crooked teeth.
- We all know people who claim other wise.
- The best solution is to have wisdom teeth or 3rd molars removed on your schedule rather than their schedule (emgergencies.)
Do you still use headgear?
- Only in a few rare instances with severe jaw issues.